Preventing Mold Damage

water cleanup hendersonUnfortunately, mold growth isn’t just an unsightly problem to have in your house. Many people don’t realize the dangers that come along with mold growth. It is both hazardous to the health and stability of our homes, as well as expensive to remedy. Health problems will emerge with constant exposure to molds such as respiratory issues and rashes. Moreover, it will pose a threat to the structural integrity of your home. Mold will eat away at surfaces the longer it is allowed to stay around, causing the home to fall apart over time. 

Water Cleanup – Henderson

Taking care of any water damage problems before mold can be attracted to it is key to avoiding expensive mold repair. Prevention is more effective and more cost-efficient than a cure. 

Dry Wet Spots Immediately

Water damage is bound to occur in everyone’s home at least once in their life. Unfortunately, not everyone may know what to do when it does happen. The most important thing is to begin cleanup immediately as damp areas are a breeding ground for mold and mildew. If it is a small event, be sure to dry up any affected areas as soon as possible. Larger water damage could be deemed dangerous and may require professional water cleanup. If you suspect that the inside of your walls, your ceiling, and your crawl space is moist enough for mold to grow, you have to do something about this. Renting fans and other equipment that can help dry these areas is ideal in such a situation.

Keep Humidity Low

High humidity creates excess moisture and condensation and can cause mold and mildew to multiply. It begins to cause problems when the home is regularly at a humidity level of more than 60%. To avoid humidity getting too high, it’s important to ensure that there is always proper ventilation where moisture levels can get high. Different areas of the home may include the bathroom when taking a hot shower or bath, the kitchen when cooking, and the laundry area when drying wet clothes. This can be as simple as opening a window, but you can also make use of the A/C unit or fans. Use the ventilation hood when cooking, and use extractor vents when taking a shower or doing laundry.

Disinfect After Water Damage

When experiencing water damage cleanup, sometimes simply drying up the water isn’t enough. Many sources of water can be contaminated, leaving behind contaminants and bacteria even after being dried. Moreover, if the water has been sitting on a surface for a while, spores that are invisible to the naked eye could have already begun to grow. To ensure that your home is safe from mold growth, disinfecting all surfaces that experienced water damage is essential. Use bleach on damp surfaces to remove any traces of spores that might introduce molds into your home.

Ultimately, mold can have a huge effect on you and your home if it is not taken properly taken care of promptly. If all the moisture in your home isn’t eliminated quickly, mold can begin to take over. Many people are unequipped to take on such as task, so reaching out for help is imperative. Professionals at ERX can ensure that water cleanup tasks are done right the first time, ensuring your safety.

Contact us