Water Cleanup Steps And Prevention
Water damage emergencies can be a hassle to deal with. At ERX Emergency Restoration in Henderson, Nevada, understand the stress and frustration that comes with unexpected water emergencies. We want to help you take any and all preventative measures, as well as instruct on actions to take when you’re involved in a water damage event. Even though water damage can be devastating to homes and businesses, the good news is, about 93% of water-related damage can be prevented!
Preventative Measures You Can Take Now
- Clean out rain gutters twice a year. This can aid in the prevention of clogging, which leads to standing and leaking water.
- Periodically check the condition of your roof. With weather and age come detached shingles, exposed wood, and a higher chance of water damage. Complete any necessary patching, as well as replacing damaged or decaying material.
- Prevent pipes from freezing. During the winter months, it is very important to keep water flowing in pipes from freezing. When water freezes, it expands. Because metal is a solid material, expansion from the freezing water will cause the pipes to burst, creating another outlet for the water.
- Check washing machine hoses. A lot of water flows in and out of the washing machine, sinks, and dishwashers, just to name a few. Make it a habit to check around the washing machine, and under sinks.
- Pay attention to the water bill. If you notice a significant increase in your water bill, immediately check around the house and yard to see if there are any signs of leakage.
Steps To Take In A Water Cleanup Emergency
Timing is key when it comes to water emergencies! Immediately contact a water restoration specialist in your area to assess the damage, and begin the cleanup process. Because timing matters, find a specialist who is available 24/7, like ERX Emergency Restoration.
The longer water is allowed to sit, the more damage it does. Standing water warps drywall and flooring, softens materials like wood, and cultivates bacteria and mold growth (hence the reason to always be on the lookout for the previously listed items). If you do come in contact with any warping, or discoloration, take the advice above and contact a water cleanup professional immediately!
Call For Professional Water Cleanup In Henderson
It may be tempting to take matters into your own hands when it comes to cleaning up water, but resist the temptation! Laying down multiple towels and facing fans toward the affected areas often do more bad than good. Attempting to start cleanup by yourself could make matters much worse in the future as water seeps into cracks and crevices and continues its damage unbeknownst to you. The professionals will have the equipment necessary to eliminate all future possibilities of water damage in the affected areas and leave you feeling at ease.