Take the “Ew” out of Sewage Cleanup
What’s in the Water? Why Any Sewage Cleanup Should be Left to the Pros.
When a sewage backup occurs, a lot of home and business owners are motivated to try to clean up the spill on their own. Armed with a mop, bucket and perhaps some bleach, tackling a sewage cleanup might seem within the capabilities of DIY-ers who wish to save some money and deal with the problem faster. The truth, however, is that water damage cleanup is best left to the pros–especially when the job involves a sewage spill.
Unlike other incidents in the home, sewage backups not only involve more demanding cleanup protocols, but they also pose some serious threats. You and your family should stay as far away from the site of the spill as possible and leave it to the pros, here are a few reasons why:
Proper sewage cleanup requires strict protocol.
Raw sewage permanently damages property if it is not cleaned up correctly. Clogs also originate from deep within the plumbing; attempts to fix these clogs improperly can triple the problems. This is why professional sewage cleanup crews operate according to strict standards, minimizing further damage, unclogging pipes to get to the root of the issue, and preventing it from happening again.
Raw sewage is a health hazard.
While a sewage clog can cause serious damage to personal property, it is important to clearly recognize the health risks from contact with raw sewage. Many people now know about the dangers that come with mold problems, but raw sewage cleanup is even riskier. When it comes to water damage in your home, getting professional help is always a good idea, but for raw sewage cleanup it can be vital to protecting your family’s health. Raw sewage contains countless amounts of pathogens, bacteria and even parasites, which can be absorbed by physical contact or breathing in the air immediately surrounding the spill. This can cause various diseases such as:
- Salmonella. This is a bacterial infection that not only causes unpleasant symptoms itself (nausea, stomach cramping, vomiting and diarrhea), but it can also lead to other diseases that are even worse.
- Respiratory infections. Left untreated for too long, raw sewage problems can start leading to mold problems, which can be extremely harmful to your health.
- Intestinal, eye and skin infections. Your respiratory system isn’t the only thing at risk, raw sewage puts you at risk for other infections as well.
- Hepatitis A. This is an extremely contagious virus that causes a liver infection and harms its ability to function.
- Bacillary dysentery. This is a serious inflammation of the intestines, which is life-threatening if it’s left untreated. Its symptoms can include stomach cramps, severe abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
With so many serious health problems that can come from dealing with raw sewage, you can see why it’s so important to find a professional who’s received proper training to handle the situation. By incorrectly disposing of sewage, home and business owners put themselves in direct contact with various health risks and can even spread it throughout the building if they are not careful.